Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pumpkinseed Nutella

My sister told me about sunflower Nutella, but I didn't have any sunflower seeds, so I tried it with pumpkinseeds. I prepared the liquids first (halving the recipe) and then added them in a little at a time. I'm glad I did, because the original called for way too much liquid. I have attempted to reflect my final proportions here.


  • 1 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
  • 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup (may need to adjust)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 tbsp milk
In a wide, heavy pan, toast the pepitas over medium heat, turning constantly with a spatula. They will pop! So make sure you don't lean close to the pot. The will start to smell awesome after a couple of minutes. When a good number of them are golden, take them off the heat and continue turning. Transfer to another vessel and cool in the freezer until they are room temperature.

Meanwhile, combine all of the other ingredients in a measuring cup.

Put the room-temperature pepitas into the food processor. Grind for several minutes, stopping each minute to scrape the sides of the bowl. After going much too long as little granules, they will suddenly and magically turn into an awesome green nut butter the color of pistachio ice cream.

Add everything else and continue to process. You may have to scrape the sides several times.

Makes one 8oz jar.

No comments: